Today's cookies are baked by Wendy Trimper, Head of Branch Services. Her cookies will be making an appearance at the Port Williams Library .
Espresso Thumbprint Cookies
(from the book Betty Crocker Christmas Cookies)
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup butter, softened
½ teaspoon vanilla
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee granules
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 Tablespoon coffee-flavoured liqueur, if desired
Crushed hard peppermint candies, if desired
1. Heat oven to 350⁰ F. In large bowl, beat sugar, butter, vanilla and egg with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon, until well blended. Stir in flour, cocoa and salt until dough forms.
2. Shape dough by rounded teaspoonfuls into 42 (1 inch) balls. On ungreased cookie sheets, place balls about 2 inches apart. Using thumb or end of wooden spoon, make indentation in center of each cookie, but do not press all the way to cookie sheet.
3. Bake 7 to 11 minutes or until edges are firm. If necessary, quickly remake indentations with end of wooden spoon. Immediately remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, mix whipping cream and instant coffee. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally , until steaming and coffee is dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate chips until melted. Stir in liqueur. Cool about 10 minutes or until thickened.
5. Spoon rounded ½ teaspoon espresso filling into indentation in each cookie. Top with crushed candies.
Post a Comment