Monday 9 July 2012

The Well Travelled Book Lover


If you're like me, you always have to have something to read. This can become problematic while on vacation. You might need a book to read on the plane as well as a back-up in case you don't like the book you brought. With carry-on restrictions and the attempt to "travel light", it's sometimes a challenge for bibliophiles to keep up with their reading while on holiday.

eBooks to the rescue!  I took four books with me on holiday last summer to the U.K. and they all fit in my purse. My eReader can stay charged for up to three weeks and I'm good to go. Finding books for my eReader is quick and easy using the library's Overdrive software.  Just search the catalogue, download, and transfer to a device. If what you are looking for isn't available, you can place it on hold just like a regular book. When it's available you get an email telling you so.  Best of all, it's free so I can save my money while dreaming of other places to travel to.

Not into eBooks?  Try downloading an audiobook through Overdrive for your iPod or MP3 player and relax while listening to a book. There's nothing better to make a long flight go faster than a good book no matter what the format.

Frances Newman, Regional Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment